Ammonium sulfate, also known as SAM, is an agricultural fertilizer made from a mixture of nitrogen and sulfur. As it contains these two important nutrients for plants, it is one of the main advantages of this fertilizer.
What is ammonium sulfate (SAM)?
Ammonium sulfate is a chemical compound of the formula (NH4)2SO4, obtained by mixing ammonia and sulfuric acid.
In terms of agricultural nutrients, ammonium sulfate contains:
• 20% ammoniacal nitrogen;
• Between 22 and 24% sulphated sulphur.
Nitrogen is vital for plant growth, acting directly:
• In the process of photosynthesis, as it is part of chlorophyll;
• In the formation of essential substances, such as vitamins, carbohydrates and proteins;
• In the development of the root system.
Sulfur, on the other hand, is essential to nourish plants, mainly linked to metabolic functions, having an active participation in the formation of organic molecules involved in the plant life cycle, namely:
• Amino acids;
Type of use
Granular Ammonium Sulfate should be used according to the needs indicated in the soil analyses.
A source of nitrogen and sulfur, ammonium sulfate can be used as a directly applied fertilizer as well as a component of blends in compound fertilizers.
- Ammonium Sulfate (SAM) fertilizer provides two important elements for plant development in a single input.
- The ways in which ammonium sulfate makes these elements available are the ones that plants can absorb: ammonium (NH4) and sulfated sulfur (SO4). This makes them more readily available to plants.
White or gray granules.
- Sugar cane
Types of packaging
Bags of 50 Kg or Big Bag
The ideal storage conditions should be highlighted:
- Closed place to protect the ammonium sulfate from bad weather (soil, rain and fog) and especially direct sunlight.
- Environment protected from moisture, which can cause agglomerations and dust, impairing spreading capabilities.
- Open storage should be avoided. If there is no alternative, the place must be well drained and the packages must be placed on pallets or pallets (thermal protection).
- Cover the piles with heavy-duty plastic wrap or tarp to withstand adverse weather.
- Carry out the lashing with a strong rope.
- Use pallets on top of the pile and white plastic films to avoid temperatures exceeding 32°C (50°C) for fertilizers based on ammonium nitrate, avoiding thermocycling with expansion and contraction of the granules until they rupture, generating dust.
How to transport the goods
The forklift must be suitable for the load transported. To avoid the forklift becoming unstable when suspending big bags, accommodate two handles on which fork.
To adjust the handles, make sure the forklift is off. After the manual accommodation of the handles, the employee must move away before lifting the big bag.
During handling, the big bag must be lifted as little as possible to avoid rubbing against the floor or other parts of the forklift and to not restrict the operator’s view.
The big bag must be accommodated without human intervention when removing the handles. The removal should only happen with the forklift in reverse or with the help of an employee.
Important: never make manual interventions in the accommodation with the forklift in motion.
Health and safety
- It is essential that people directly involved in handling products, big bags or sacks use the respective personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate to the activity and product to be handled.
- Unsuitable for human and animal consumption.
- Avoid inhalation and contact with eyes and skin.
- Keep out of the reach of children and animals.
Stacking a maximum of 3 big bags in height, the height limit of the fertilizer piles must always be respected. If the batteries are above the ideal limit, they run the risk of becoming unstable and collapsing, which can cause accidents, in addition to impairing the quality of the products.
The Ammonium Sulfate sacks must be on a well-drained surface, with a firm base, if possible on pallets and with a distance of 1 meter from the walls of the shed.
The use of a mechanical arm coupled to tractors or motorized forklifts is recommended as preferred for unloading packages and forming loads, both for big bags and for pallets with sacks.
The pile must not tilt. If this happens, immediate storage is necessary, preferably mechanically, with the utmost attention to the possibility of the packaging(s) collapsing and the risk of accidents.
The pile must be protected with canvas, fixing it well around the packaging.
In the event of an accident with the product
Seek medical attention in case of ingestion or any adverse reaction.
Indicated on the label next to the guarantees, provided that the indicated storage conditions are observed.